ABSOLUTE WILDERNESS TO FEATURE AT GODZone
Tuesday 29th March 2016
Media Release from 100% PURE Racing
Tuesday 29th March 2016 For immediate release
NELSON BASED FREEZE DRIED FOOD COMPANY ‘ABSOLUTE WILDERNESS’ TO FEATURE AT GODZone
Since 2012, Nelson based champion adventure racer Nathan Fa’avae together with award winning food scientist Dr Grant MacDonald and entrepreneur Andrew MacDonald have been producing some of the tastiest freeze dried foods on the New Zealand market.
During Chapter 5 of GODZone, Absolute Wilderness will be manning a remote food station where teams will be fed a well-earned hot meal. GODZone Media Manager Margo Berryman caught up with Fa’avae to find out more……..
Why are the freeze dried meals created by Absolute Wilderness so good for multi day adventure races like GODZone?
• The biggest advantage of Absolute Wilderness meals is that they are the only 100% freeze dried meals on the market, which means they fully rehydrate with cold water, which has obvious bonuses for Adventure Racing. Added to that they’re very calorie dense, they’ve been designed for fuel people in the outdoors who are burning through a lot of energy. A lot of people don’t realise that dehydrated food is less nutritious as the process bleeds the ingredients, it can also dehydrate people after they’ve eaten it. The freeze drying process is highly technical but restores all the goodness of the ingredients.
How will the remote food station work at GODZone?
• Often in races organisers will have some sort of oasis, where they give teams some hot food and drinks, which is always hugely enjoyed. But these areas are always at TA’s where teams are either in a hurry, have access to their own food supplies or close to a store, a township. In keeping with the brand, we’re setting up a wilderness oasis, where somewhere along the route, away from TA’s, we’ll be offering teams a hot meal. If it’s a cold night out there I reckon we’ll sign up customers for life!
Absolute Wilderness is a locally based producer – what is the products reach nationally and internationally?
• The company is not export certified so we can’t bulk export off shore, that is our goal for the next 12-18 months, to have the production capacity and permits to export, we’re getting interest from all over the planet. Right now we’re running the factory at maximum output to meet the Kiwi summer demand.
What is the secret to the great taste?
• Absolute Wilderness is using new technologies that lead the industry, by a few years I’d estimate. The rest of the world will catch up but right now we’ve got a jump, and that allows us to produce a premium product. Our most pleasing feedback is when people say, “It’s like a meal I’d eat at home”. Freeze dried food has quite a bad name in the outdoors and it’s a big challenge for us to show people that freeze dried food can be amazing. It’s critical to us that our meals are healthy and clean. People are wising up to additives, enhancers and fillers. If you read our label, it’s a no nonsense label with ingredients the consumer can understand. We use high quality fresh products.
What is your personal favorite Absolute Wilderness freeze-dried meal?
• It changes a lot but right now it’s the Tom Kha Gai … closely followed by the Mocha Creamed Rice.
For more information on Absolute Wilderness http://www.absolutewilderness.co.nz/about